Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Failure to Submit pt.3

After the realization that emailing my comic to publishers is probably not the best way to go. As firstly most wouldn't accept them and secondly they were just too easy to ignore. I decided to go traditional and mail my pitch and book to whatever publisher would take it. Again I realized that most wouldn't even accept them, some stating that they would just throw away any unsolicited pitches. So once again I scoured the internet and came back with only three reasonable options, Dark Horse ComicsAvatar Press, and once again Image Comics

So my next step was now to find a printer. After a quick search I landed on Ka-blam Printing, they seemed perfect for a small print. The only problem was that it would take a month for them to get printed, a lot longer than I thought it would. So, eager to get the books printed as quick as possible, I paid extra for a rushed order. A 44 page full colored book went from about $4 a piece to more than $10 each, forcing me to run a pathetic 5 issue first print. After 2 weeks (quicker than projected) I received my books, and they were amazing. This is not me bragging about the quality of the art or writing but to see or rather feel my work in this format was such a euphoric moment. The weight of the pages, the texture of the ink on the page, I loved it. It gave breath to my deflated ego, reminding me why I wanted to follow this path.

So I printed out the pitch from my failed email submission, grabbed my book, jammed them into an envelope and mailed them off. As I woke up every morning with descending excitement to check my email for a life changing email, I once again realized I was just waiting for something that wasn't coming. end pt.3 

No comments:

Post a Comment