Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Failure to Submit pt.2

After composing a rather long (maybe too long) "pitch" for my book, I eagerly sent it to Image comics via email. It included an introduction to myself and the project, a simple synopsis of the book, a more complex synopsis of the first arc including character bios and designs, and most importantly the first 44 pages of the book. As I waited/hoped for a response, I began to dive deep into the internet searching for any information I could find on the process of "pitching" a project. As time grew on and the realization that I wasn't going to get a response became clear, I questioned the quality of my work more than ever before. As pushed back the urge to just quit, I began to search for my next step. I started to dive deep into the internet searching for stories of  kindred struggling comic creators. I was just hoping to find a magical "guide" telling me what I was doing wrong and how to fix it.

Through research on mainly message boards and later podcasts, I learned a few things.

  1. If they do like your work expect an email or call within a month of your submission. 
  2. That most publishers now want full issues as opposed to the 5-6 pages they once asked for, unless you're an established creator.
  3. Publishers seem to like the cheesy comparison pitch ex. the movie "Speed", "It's like Diehard on a bus, A BUS!!!"
  4. Find a way to personalize your pitch towards each individual publisher. If it's towards a company ex. Image or a person ex. Eric Stephenson (who says he reviews all submissions at Image) I'm not sure which is better. I personally think it's weird to personalize something towards a person you never met, so I didn't do it.
  5. You really need to make the first few sentences "hook" the attention of the publisher.
  6. This one is just a rumor but some people send "gifts" to publishers. It makes since but I think it's sketchy.
  7. Most people get their "big break" in comics in nontraditional ways. i.e. not through emails. 
From what I could gather from a few stray message board posts, emailing a pitch to Image (one of the only publishers that would even accept an email pitch) is simply a waste of time. I don't know if it's true or just a way for me to justify the dismissal of my pitch but the rumors of a phantom email submission program is just too believable. One that is there to only facilitate the masses approaching the higher ups of Image at cons asking "I have a great idea for a comic" only to be shooed away by "that's great, send us an email and we'll review it". To avoid throwing the dagger a word like "no" can represent towards an eager creator, they simply give them another place to direct their energy. Though whether this is just me trying to blame my rejection on the rumored trickery of Image Comics or if there is some truth to this, I knew I had to find another way to grab the attention of publishers. end pt.2 

No comments:

Post a Comment