Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Yajirobe: A Role Model for Fat Kids with Swords

One of my earliest obsessions was Dragon Ball Z. I've always had a passion for animation. One that has lasted throughout adolescence and followed me deep into adulthood. Imagine a man well into his 20's waking up early Saturday morning just to watch cartoons. Often confused by what was currently driving kids into a frenzy but so attached to his weekly ritual he couldn't look away from the pikachu infested screen. 

Through all these Saturday mornings there was one era that stood out and that was the Dragon Ball Z era. I love everything about that show, the crazy characters, the flashy special moves, the extended screaming, it was awesome. 

Lately I've been going crazy on Youtube, gorging on clip after clip of this amazing show. When I was reminded of this..      
As an overweight Asian boy, with wild unkempt hair, this was something unseen. Finally a character I could relate to. Though he was always seen as a joke, it was something for me to grasp onto. Even as his role diminished throughout the series, I always hoped for the random cameo from this pudgy samurai. One that would usually never come but still force me out of bed stumbling gleefully towards my consistent Saturday morning companion, Balls..Dragon Balls.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment